Friday, October 31, 2008

Story of Pink Slip

We are currently working on getting things done for the doctor's appointment. Still not sure what time we are going. We were able to get a hold of Pablo - turns out he left his cell phone at his parents house 2 days ago and that is why he didn't get or answer my calls yesterday. He is going to be helping us today and make sure we have everything for our appointment Monday. Whew! When I told him about the requirements at the doctors office he didn't know anything about it. He said that it has been 2 months since he's had to take a family there and the rules must have changed (we always seem to get the "new" rules). He is taking another child and his/her foster mother to the doctor this morning for the same type of appointment so he's going to ask some questions about these new requirements.

I wanted to tell the "story" of how we finally got our pink slip. We knew on Tuesday evening that Karla's DNA results were received and signed for at the Embassy thanks to FedEx's tracking website. I called the Embassy Wednesday and said "where is our pink slip?" They said they still hadn't received the DNA results but that they had a note in our file that we were in Guatemala and would make a sooner appointment, rather than the typical 1 week later once they received the DNA.

I called the Embassy Thursday, yesterday. I told them we still didn't have our pink slip. The lady said - we don't have your DNA results. I said "What? I know it was received on Tuesday because of FedEx tracking site" and I told her the name of the person who signed for it. Then the lady said sometimes it takes a while to go through interoffice mail. I pressed further - thank goodness. I asked if there was anything I could do to speed this up. A little frustrated she said "hold on". No more than two minutes later she got back on the phone and said, "I have your pink slip, your appointment is Wednesday Nov. 5. I will email it to you now". I said "that is the soonest we can get in??" She said yes. I reminded her again that we were in Guatemala and anxious to get home. "Hold on" she said. One minute later she gets back on the phone and says, "okay, since you are both in Guatemala with your daughter (duh! wasn't there a note in our file and didn't you just tell me that??) you can come on Monday November 3. I thanked her and within 5 minutes our pink slip was emailed to us. I wonder when we would have got it if we hadn't called!?!? It seems like you have to hold everyone's hand to get anything done here. So glad I've been here to move this along!

We'll try to (finally) get a family photo today! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So we can still count on you back in the states late next Wednesday night?

Mom N said...

Hang in there. Your persistence is paying off. I'm glad you are there,too.
Love Mom