Monday, October 20, 2008

Things Are A Little Tougher

I just uploaded pictures from yesterday. I didn't take too many. Lola and Karla played in the playroom for a little while in the morning. They liked "hiding" in the cabinet. It was cute to see two pairs of feet sticking out. I think Carey got better pictures than I did.

I guess because I am a speech therapist I was most concerned about Karla's language. I am amazed at how much she is picking up. I think she understands me sometimes and she is repeating more words I say each day. New words she is saying:
*yucky (for the trash can and ash trays that are everywhere!)
*stinky (for diapers)
*up
*easy (Carey would tell Lola "easy" when touching Karla. Yesterday when they were under the cabinet Carey told them both "easy" and Karla started saying it too.)
*jump (we did this continuously in the pool and I would say jump each time-then she started saying it. We came back up to the room and she jumped and said "jump"!)

Another example of her understanding what is being said is that Lola and Rich would say "put em up" and make fists at each other. Karla heard them do this yesterday and put her hands up too when she heard them say it.

Then, something I didn't think she understood was when Carey would tell Lola to "mind her business" if I was telling Karla "no" or something. We were in a taxi last night on the way home from dinner and Karla poked Lola in the leg. Not even in a serious tone I said to Karla "I'm going to have to start telling you to mind your business". Oops!! She started howling.

Today is a national holiday in Guatemala so things were pretty quiet at the Westin. Yesterday I had Rich, Carey, and Lola go with me and Karla to EconoSuper...the store Jason always went to to buy our stuff. It isn't really that far but it is for a stroller because there are very bumpy sidewalks and some steps on the way and you have to cross 4 (at least) streets....and here stop signs are optional and cars don't yield to pedestrians. I was hoping it would be a place I could go to get things as I needed them but that won't be the case. Rich said I shouldn't go by myself and after the walk - I wouldn't want to. It is also in a different zone, one that is less safe. So the only places Karla and I will go to from now on are to the "price mart" (I guess it is like Sam's or Costco) with Diana or with a taxi driver we have used many times now and who is a friend of Rich and Carey's to go to the mall that is a few blocks away. I don't really see us doing that though. The Westin it is! We can also order everything we need and it can be delievered here - it is just a little more expensive.

We are lucky to have Diana here because she is doing our laundry. The hotel charges a couple dollars per item of clothing so that is out. I've never seen or heard of a laundromat around here.

We went to the pool today for a little while. I think the water is warmer than the weather. Karla loved swimming again and made friends with a 4 and 6 year old girl in the shallow end. I limited our time because it was cool. Karla was not happy to be taken out of the water.

The past 2 days Karla has not been as happy as she was before. Reality is setting in. I should probably be reading my "Toddler Adoption" book rather than blogging. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow. She hasn't taken a bottle for me once this whole week! Her foster mother said she was still taking bottles. I've tried different milk powders and until last night she would immediately get mad if I presented a "pacha" (bottle). Last night we played with it. We fed her bear with it and then each pretended to take sips from it. WHen she thought I wasn't looking she took two little sips. I really think this has something to do with a bonding issue because on our first visit trip (maybe the second too) she wouldn't take a bottle for me at first - only for Jason. I'm going to try ordering milk at breakfast tomorrow and putting it in her sippy cup. I'm just concerned that she isn't getting the calcium and nutrients she needs.

Karla's DNA was received at LabCorp in the US today. I emailed a lady there yesterday to tell her to expect it. She emailed me when she got it and said they tell people it takes 7 days to process but because there are fewer of these adoptions it could be less time. I also found out today that I may be able to call the US Embassy in Guatemala and tell them I am here and can come to an earlier appointment. Usually after the USE in Guat receives the DNA results they tell you when your Embassy appointment is the following day. So, if someone at the USE is willing to help me...this time could be shorter. I hope to be home the very end of October or the very beginning of November! :)

I am surprised Jason didn't blog about his weekend. He did some shopping for Karla, now that we know sizes and things she likes. She needed new shoes, PJs, and a coat! He installed car seats. I have been waiting for that day for 2 years - I think that is how long we've had one of them. He cleaned Karla's room (with his parents help) and finished turning the guest room into a playroom. Karla has her own TV in the "playroom" and a DVD player and a kitchen set.

I am having some difficulties with Karla's behavior now. This is no longer a "fun adventure" but reality for her. It must be frustrating for her not to be able to explain it to me. Sometimes I just don't know what she wants. She has been crying a lot more, excuse me, screaming a lot more. One minute she'll be clinging to me for life, the next she wants me to go away from her. I am going to try to start a more regular routine and see if that helps.

Last night we all went out to dinner with Mercedez (hotel worker) and her boyfriend. Karla was SO bad! It was already bad enough that people were staring at us because we were "white" but then Karla was yelling and running around and trying to talk to people at their tables. Finally I decided to quit trying to eat or feed her and meet everyone else by the front door when they were done. I told her we were leaving and as we walked out of the restaurant she was waving and saying "adios" to EVERYONE. It was cute, but not to a frustrated mom trying NOT to draw extra attention to herself. I felt like I didn't know who the little girl was! Anyway, if you could continue to pray for wisdom for me and comfort for Karla it would be MUCH appreciated!

I know we will get through this and it will be a distant memory. Even though she's not been as pleasant the past day or so I still love her so much and am so happy to be here with her. I wish she didn't have to go through this adjustment. When she calls me Mommy and says "Mmm-uh" with a kiss....it is all worth it!!!!!!!!!

On a topic unrelated to adoption - tomorrow is my grandma's (Mammy) LAST day of chemo!!! She has been so tough and strong. A good role model for me, especially right now. So the picture is a project Karla and I did tonight. :)

5 comments:

Katie H said...

Ugh, reality bites! ha ha. GREAT news from the DNA lab tho... hope you have fun at the pool, I guess without Jason there isn't an extra set of "dry" hands to take many pool pics, those were the cutest! Prayers are with you, miss you!
Katie H

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Karla,

You are both in our prayers. Yes, it too soon will be a memory and you will be saying remember when...but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier for you now! Hang in there. Bundles of love to you both.

Dad N.

Annie and Greg said...

I soooo feel your pain! Today has just been a BAD day between me and my toddlers. I am not sure if they have been doing more screaming in frustration or I have. I can't even imagine that wrapped up with adoption adjustment too. Hang in there! I am thinking and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

i'm practicing how to comment on the blog deal cause' i am so computer DUMB!

Anonymous said...

Hope things are getting a little better. Mom and I went to see Mamaw and Peepaw this morning. They said to tell you hi. She is trying to figure out how to blog but she must be having trouble. They are going to be moving to the "Big Building" on Novemeber 7. The pitures are great. We are hoping Jason is getting along OK. This must be kind of tough for him too.

Love, Dad N.