Saturday, October 18, 2008

Still in Love

Yesterday was pretty busy for Karla and I. After the DNA test we went to the airport with Jorge, Carey, and Lola to pick up Rich. I have never been to the airport without being emotional OR with Karla so that was pretty exciting! Yesterday was the first day I was in a car with Karla. Here you don't need car seats so I hold on to her. She doesn't want to be held on to! She pushes my hands away and if she gets any small amount of freedom in the backseat she laughs. I'm wondering how she will like the car seat....

Last night we went to a restaurant called El Portal del Angel, it overlooks the city of Guatemala. It was very nice. The funniest part was we took a taxi and there were 5 of us in the backseat (2 toddlers) and 3 men in the front seat (only 2 seats in the front). It was quite a ride! :)

Karla should be awake any minute so I'm going to make this short. Just wanted to share more things I love about Karla:
When I hold her she'll tilt her head back so I can kiss her forehead or cheeks
She smiles a lot!
She wakes up so happy (Sara, it even makes me happy in the morning!!!)
She is calling me mama or mommy a lot more consistently
It is so cute when she says "gracios" (grot- ee -us), "hello" (hewo), and Lola (her tongue sticks out to one side for both the L sounds.
She gives me hugs and kisses! (she didn't really do this voluntarily on our past visits) Last night before bed I actually had to tell her to stop kissing me because she needed to go to sleep. :)

She is coming out of her shell more and it seems like she has 2 modes - running or constant motion, loud, happy OR falls right to sleep. Keeping up with her if we are in the lobby or somewhere large is quite a job! She is fast....and thinks it is funny when I can't catch her right away.

Oh, I don't think I mentioned that the foster mother did not come yesterday. Whew. She was sick. I'm sorry to hear she was sick but relieved they didn't come. Not sure Karla and I are ready for that yet.

We have had a few "meltdowns" when I have had to tell her "no" or had to take something "unsafe" that she gets a hold of. She recovers quickly though - but boy can she get mad. :) I'm getting better at ignoring when she is mad and then she recovers even faster.

I better go lay out our clothes before my little ball of energy wakes up!

I haven't taken as many pictures the past few days but I will upload them later today.

1 comment:

Annie and Greg said...

Karla sounds a lot like Marcus - full of love and hugs and energy and quick to crash and fall asleep. I am glad you are having such a great trip! Can't wait for you guys, all of you, to get home.