Dear Friends,
A lot of wonderful things have been happening in the past several days -almost 5 days of good news - I can't believe it. In fact, yesterday I received information from our "volunteer case manager" who we haven't heard from in a month. The news was so good, I couldn't believe it until I confirmed it with Pablo this morning.
Our attorney HAS Karla's new birth certificate and her passport appointment is TOMORROW!!!!
Our case manager's computer had been "down" for a week "or so", that is why she hadn't updated us! So, at the end of last week, we still had no idea that we were close to getting the birth certificate!
This means a lot of things for us:
*we ARE almost done
*I won't have to do much work/fighting/harassing/pestering people in Guatemala to get things done (I wasn't looking forward to that but I was willing to do it!)
*I will not have to be in Guatemala very long - I think probably 3 weeks maximum, assuming everything else goes well
I think things will go well because all that is left is a DNA test, which I can take Karla to next week. Then we'll have to go to the Embassy doctor to make sure her records are up-to-date. I can do that! Then we wait for the DNA test to be processed (about 8 days from when sample taken), then we'll get our Embassy appointment date - the date everything is FINALIZED, her visa is issued the next day. Jason will have to be down in Guatemala for the final Embassy appointment. He was tentatively planning to come down for a long weekend to visit us on Oct 24 so - who knows - he may be coming down to bring us home then, or the next week!
I spoke with our foster mother's nephew a little while ago because he speaks some English and I wanted to talk with the family about a few things. They are so nice! He said they are very excited to meet in person. I told him that we have to wait for a big "family" get together until Jason comes down. So, we'll probably get to meet several family members that have grown to love Karla. He assured me that they are happy she will be coming home with us finally but that they will miss her. Oh.....so many feelings that I have right now!!! Sounds like they are the same way. :) For some reason, I am so glad he assured me that they are both happy and sad - it makes me feel better, I needed to hear that.
I don't think I have mentioned in an email that I am leaving for Guatemala MONDAY OCT 13 at 6 a.m.!!! Carey, Lola, and I will get to Guat. around noon (Guat time). I'm still working on details of Karla's transition. The hardest part about this is the language barrier. (I know, I should have learned Spanish). :)
More soon. Love, Jennifer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment