Friday, October 24, 2008

A Better Evening!

Today we stayed in the hotel all day. The day went pretty well. I haven’t had much of a voice since yesterday afternoon and this morning I just felt so tired. Trying to talk with people in the hotel or elevator that speak limited English and I can barely squeak a voice out – very frustrating. I think Karla sensed that I wasn't feeling well (and wanted to sleep)because she didn’t want to go down for her nap. It hasn’t been a problem before. She ended up falling asleep on my chest and when I tried to move she cried or fussed. So we slept together for 2 hours. Every time I moved she would feel around just to make sure I was still there. I thought that was sweet. I felt a lot better after the nap and I think she did too.

When Karla woke up I was hungry and I asked her “hambre?” for “hungry?” She shook her head yes vigorously. She says no and shakes her head no a lot but seldom “yes”. So we went down to the dining room. It was about 4pm and they kind of put us in a corner. I ordered a drink and they brought it. Then I think they forgot about us! I don’t know exactly how long we sat but it felt like 15-20 minutes…no one came. Well, that is about as long as Karla will sit in the highchair so I got up and walked to the front area…and waited more. Finally someone came, looking confused and I said I wanted my check. I would have complained right then but for some reason I was afraid I would cry if I did. So we came up to our room and ordered in. It was nice and relaxing and I didn’t have to wait forever. I thought about complaining about the poor service but then decided not to since it is usually great.

Karla asked for “Dada” twice today by pointing to the computer and climbing up in the desk chair. So we talked to him twice on Skype. She was telling him about something but we had no idea what it was. (maybe it was “save me from momma”) :) I got to IM with Jason tonight so that was nice too. I requested IM so I could rest my non-voice.

I have to tell Carey that Karla is still saying “easy” about some things. She seems to understand what it means. When she touches the stand-up lamp – she looks at me and says “easy”. She knows she has to be careful so it doesn’t fall over. She also has told me twice when she has “poopoo”. I guess maybe the Spanish word is the same as English. Jason told me that we need to potty train Karla ASAP because of the cost of diapers (since he had to go out and buy some last weekend). Maybe it won’t be too long but we certainly aren’t working on that now.

I forgot to mention that when I called the US Embassy in Guatemala the other day they said that since adoptions are slowing down so much now they may be able to move our Embassy appointment up once the DNA test results are processed and sent to the Embassy. They said they could make it sooner (maybe) because we are in Guatemala. I had heard that you could call them and tell them you are already in Guatemala therefore don’t need as many days to make travel arrangements. I told the lady that I was here and she said she made a notation of it on our file there. Jason has to be present for the appointment but he’ll still have a few days notice. I’m going to follow-up on the DNA tomorrow. I’m hoping they’ll say it is on its way back to Guatemala.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions about bedtime. Last night I truly was at a loss for what to do. All day today I was thinking about bedtime and a routine to try – and stick to. She has been asking to sit in her stroller and watch TV when she gets tired. So at 8 she asked to get in the stroller. I sit in a chair next to her. Tonight we shared a piece of fruit and watched TV for about 20 minutes. Then we went in the bathroom to take a bath (we’ve usually been doing this in the morning). Instead of splashing and playing I stayed calm and so did she. Prior to going into the bathroom I dimmed the lights in our room and put a few books on the bed. She does like to cuddle a little after she gets a bath and is in a towel. So we did that, put on her PJs and then I put her directly on the bed – didn’t give her the chance to go grab a toy. She started crying right away. I picked up a book and started reading and she moved to my lap and got quiet. We “read” a few books and then I told her good night and kissed her. Then I held her on my shoulder – that is how she likes to fall asleep. She started screaming. I actually timed it. Had to do something other than feel bad for making her scream :) She screamed for the first several minutes and then just kind of fussed. After only 6 minutes she pulled back, looked me in the eyes, and started babbling and shaking her head yes. I felt like she understood I wasn’t backing down this time. I shook my head yes. Told her I loved her. Kissed her and her bear and then she fell right to sleep on my shoulder. After she had been sleep for 15 minutes I lay her in the bed. Then 15 or so minutes later I put her in the crib. She’s been asleep since 9pm our time. Whew. Now I know this doesn’t mean it will work every night but it is the routine I am going to stick with for now.

The other two things I have been firm about is 1) hitting mommy in the face (she will randomly do this for no apparent reason) and 2) she is not allowed to play with my cell phone. I couldn’t even use the cell phone before because she would scream if she even saw it because she wanted it.

I guess I’ll just keep adding to the list of “no-no’s” but those are the main ones for now.

I can’t believe how much I am learning from this!!! How can someone who isn’t even 2 teach you so much? This is also probably the hardest thing I’ve ever done, aside from waiting years for a baby, of course. But I am so happy to be here and it will probably be good we are having this transition period now so that it won’t be so bad when we get home. (I hope)

I just realized today that this is the longest I’ve ever been with Karla!! Eleven days in a row. :)

I better get to bed. I hope I have a voice tomorrow. I was feeling better this afternoon so hopefully I am on the mend.

Thanks everyone for your support!!


Here are some pictures.

Karla won't keep any pretty things in her hair. But she did keep the headband that was supposed to be in my hair in her hair for "dinner."


On our nightly laps around the hotel we came across this piano player. Actually, Karla ran to him when she heard the music and he invited her to join him. She loved it! He let her play while he was playing and she just smiled and tapped the keys. This lasted for quite sometime.


And finally, I had to buy batteries for the lion because it wasn't playing its music. (In case you didn't remember this is Karla's favorite toy and it used to be Lola's when she "lived" here). You have to remove a little panel and screws to replace the batteries and that is why I hadn't done it yet. I asked for a screwdriver from the front desk and they said they were sending someone up...yeah right. Anyway, I was proud of my creativity in getting the panel off to put in the batteries. I brought the lion to our room...we'll return it tomorrow. Now look what Karla was doing. She wanted to stand on it! What happened to the girl 5 months ago who was so hesitant to sit on him without help!?! "Easy!"

3 comments:

Katie H said...

So... Karla wants a piano for her birthday and lessons for Christmas!? excellent!

bdj7205 said...

Jen, I read this in the Beth Moore study I had today and thought I would pass on this encouraging word...
"God knows when something glorious in the future necessitates something difficult in the present. B/c He knows the glory will be worth it, God will risk being misunderstood. Yes, God wants us to have joyful, satisfying lives, but He also wants us to have crowns to cast. Rewards to receive. Character to develop. Compassion to give. Testimonies to tell. In the midst of painful processes, God makes bold promises." YEH!! praise God that you believe in Him and His faithfulness will continue to carry you through! :) Love you!

Unknown said...

oh my, she is quite the character! you're doing an awesome job being firm. just take it one day at a time. silly Jason, potty training?
write more later