Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bedtime Suggestions??????

I just suffered through a few hours of trying to get Karla to sleep. I can tell when she is tired but she was really fighting it. She has been going to bed around 8-8:30 until the past few nights. Over the past 3 nights I've tried different things - one night walking her in the stroller worked, one night laying in bed with me watching TV worked - but nothing works 2 nights in a row. Putting her right in the crib, still awake, never works. Tonight she was screaming, and I mean blood curdling screams. I honestly thought someone would call the hotel staff to find out what I was doing to my child - which was nothing except holding her or having her sit beside me in bed. I was actually kind of hoping someone would come and try to help me. She got so worked up she spit up what she had drank a little while ago - all over my pajama top too. Then, minutes ago, she just suddenly fell asleep on my shoulder. I'm at a loss for what to do. Any suggestions, no matter how small would be much appreciated!

I had Diana write down some phrases in Spanish and practiced them with her last night. Phrases like, 20 minutes until bedtime, 10 minutes until bedtime, it is time to go to sleep. I've tried "routines" like reading a book then watching a few minutes of TV...she will start to be silly though. I think because she knows what is coming.

The rest of our day was fine. We went to Price Mart (just like Sam's or Costco) and to a grocery store. The best thing about it - I got to push Karla in a cart. I've been wanting to do that for a LONG time. I don't know if she has ever ridden in one before but she did fine. I know it was a small thing but it meant a lot to me. I didn't have my camera so Diana took a picture on her phone. I will have to see if I can get the picture from her.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Creative, cool and consistent...What a GREAT Mommy you are! It sounds like you are doing everything right...and then some. Remember, toddlers can't control anything except eating, sleeping, going to the bathroom (wait until potty training for that one) and talking. They usually choose one and RUN with it. Sounds like you have quite the typical little gal on your hands. Just keep reminding yourself that it is all supposed to play out this way and that it is a HUGE adjustment for all of you. It will get easier.

bdj7205 said...

I know that if anyone can do this, Jen, you can! You have always impressed me in your creative thinking and perseverance! Maybe she can't fall asleep without you there holding her is because she has longed for you for so long and doesn't want to let go!! I bet that's it! :) Love you sis. THink about you and pray for you ALL the time!!!
Can't wait till you come back to good ol' Pittsburgh :)

Anonymous said...

Ok. I got your answer. Just put her in the back seat of your car and drive down the road a few miles...oh wait. That won't work. I agree with Kelly, this is pretty normal but still not fun! If you weren't alone I would recommend just letting her cry it out when you put her down. You will need Jason for that so you can leave the house! I am so glad all my kids were PERFECT and I never had any of these problems...yea right. Seriously, all I can offer now is my prayers and the encouragement (and comfort) of knowing you will work it out. Now I guess I am agreeing with Brenda!! When has that ever happened?? I better sign off before I get in trouble.

I love you Jennifer,
Dad

Adrianna said...

Well, I agree with everyone else, too...this is perfectly normal! My advice would be to develop a routine (e.g., change into pj's, read books, cuddle for a few moments, etc) and stick to it. Eventually, it will cue her and help her wind down. Also, don't wait until she's over tired. That will make everything worse! I agree with your dad - if you were home, I'd let her cry it out. If you talk to Heidi, you may ask what her routine has been. Just know you're doing all you can, and in time, this to shall pass! One thing I have learned about parenting is that EVERYTHING IS A PHASE!! :) You'll be in my prayers, as always!

Annie and Greg said...

I hate bedtime. Hate it with a passion. I can't even imagine what it has to be like for Karla with all the changes in her life at this point. Take lots of deep breaths and do your best to stay calm since kids are way too good at sensing your emotions. Have patience too. That part is very hard for me. I always want instant results.

Just because something works great one time, doesn't mean it is going to work great the next time. We have been following the same evening routine here since the beginning of time and some nights my kids still act all surprised when I put them in bed. During our hardest nights, I would follow a 15 minute rule. I would try something different every 15 minutes. The key is to stick with whatever you were trying that long. I found myself getting really frustrated if I was rocking my kid for 5 minutes and he was still screaming his head off and fighting me, but maybe he just needed a little bit longer to adjust to the rocking.

Don't forget to take care of yourself first either! If you are a mess, it is going to be so hard to take care of Karla's needs. Don't be afraid to put her in her crib and walk away for a second just for a little breather. My sister gave me some advice once and at first I thought it was kind of harsh, but the more I thought about it, the more I saw exactly what she meant. She told me, "Remember, they will stop crying sometime." Even if Karla is screaming her head off, there is an end. Just keep breathing and working at it and being the great mother that I know you are!

Email me if you need anything or just want to vent. You guys are constantly in my thoughts and prayers!