Friday, November 14, 2008

Catching Up

Good morning from Karla and Oso!

Today was our second day at home this week! We took our first family outing this morning. We went to Walmart! Jason's parents had bought us some food that got us through this past week but we really needed to go shopping. I don't think we've really gotten groceries since before I left for Guatemala... So we went to Walmart and stocked up. Karla sat in the cart most of the time but then I got to hold her the rest of the time. She was pretty quiet and looking around the whole time. One funny thing that happened was that when I was putting some milk in our cart, Jason and Karla were talking/playing, and some lady said "Boy, I wish I was having that much fun here". We just smiled but I wanted to say, "this is the first time we've gone anywhere around here with our baby!!" I didn't feel like explaining it though so I kept quiet. :)

Karla is doing a little better everyday. Her inhaler seems to help her a lot. We are going to her new pediatrician, who called us at home yesterday to check on her, this coming Tuesday. She will have Karla's records from the hospital and she is the doctor we have been sending Karla's monthly medical reports to since Karla was 7 days old. I am interested to see if we will have to continue the inhaler during the winter. Karla does a great job with her inhaler. Now when I say it is time, she just sits in my lap and smiles or laughs while I give her the puffs. The past two nights I had to get up in the night to give her treatments. Tonight I won't have to since we are reducing how often we give it to her.

Karla has eaten more today than she has since we were in Guatemala. I think that is a definite sign of improvement.

Karla is saying new words everyday. I wanted to keep track of her words and cute or funny things she does each day but it is impossible! She imitates a lot of words we say and seems to understand more of what we say all the time. Today she said "yellow" and "pizza" for the first time. She makes sounds for a lion, cow, horse, and sheep. Jason taught her to stick out her tongue and today he started singing a song - we can't think of the name of it - to her and she started singing it too! It was pretty funny. She also sings part of Old MacDonald (e-i-e-i).

Tomorrow Karla is going to get to meet her cousins for the first time!! I think the adults are as excited (or more so) than the kids.

I am surprised at how worn out Jason and I can feel after playing with Karla all day! Jason has had a bad cold for the past 3 days so I'm sure that doesn't help. He's feeling better tonight. I also didn't realize how hard it would be to get anything done during the day. :) I had to get up early this morning to clean the floors. One of my least favorite jobs.

We watched part of The Little Mermaid tonight and Karla was talking back to the TV loudly saying "uh-oh", "wee", and "singing" along with a song or two.

Karla doesn't like anything wet or sticky to be on her hands, especially when she is eating. We have gone through a lot of napkins. :) She also is particular about certain things. If there is any scrap of paper or food on the floor she immediately picks it up and walks to the trash can saying "yucky" and throws it away. She'll help me keep the floors clean! Tonight Jason couldn't figure out what Karla was wanting when she walked into the kitchen. He finally figured out that she wanted him to get the same bowl she used last night filled with Goldfish crackers. Then he had to sit in the same place on the floor where he was sitting last night. His legs had to be crossed - not straight - and then she sat down in her spot. I have uploaded a picture of the two of them.

Karla was giving out kisses to both of us today! We both loved it.

Karla got a new Elmo toy from Carey when she was in the hospital. She has been saying "Elmo" a lot!!

She is so cute and we can't wait for her to meet more of our friends and family!

I uploaded some more pictures to flickr from the past few days.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

So glad things are moving toward "normal"--trips to Wal-Mart, cleaning floors, etc. It's the little, everyday things that make a family a family.

We are thinking about you guys all the time!

Hope to see you soon!

Carey said...

I LOVE when Lola helps me clean:) LOL! I'm glad to hear Karla is doing so well. Hope Jason is on his way to recovery too!