Tuesday, November 11, 2008

O2

I slept until about 4:30 this morning. I had vaguely been aware of respiratory coming in to give Karla breathing treatments and the nurses taking her vitals overnight. She didn’t cry at all so I was able to stay in bed. At 4:30 the nurse was hovering over Karla for a while so I asked what was going on. She said she has been “desat – ing” all night, meaning her oxygen level kept dipping down below where it should be and then she would bring it back up within seconds. They had turned the alarm down a little bit so I guess that is why I didn’t hear it. Then, that is ALL I heard from 4:30 to 6. I pushed the help button at 5:30 because I was getting anxious. The nurse said respiratory was coming. At 6 the respiratory therapist came in and put her on oxygen. I was sad that was going to happen because, as the nurse said, it is a step backwards, but now that she has the little nasal canula of oxygen in her nose I feel relieved because I know she is getting the air she needs. It was time for her breathing treatment at 6 am too so she got that and has drifted back to sleep with oxygen levels near 100%. I am going to try to stop hovering now but I know I’m not going back to sleep for a while.

Please pray for her lungs and for the doctors to know what is happening inside of her little body! I’m feeling frustrated because I don’t know why this had to happen now and I don’t want anything to be wrong with her!

I called Jason at 4:45 am and asked him if I should “freak out”. He said no so I am staying calm. I told him to come before rush hour this morning so he can speak to the doctors as well. Who knows, he may be here any minute. 

1 comment:

Adrianna said...

Hi J, J, & K - I am so sorry to hear little Karla is ill! I know, as a parent, that is the worst feeling in the world! I will pray that she recovers soon and can be home with you, acting like her crazy little self! If you ever need to talk, I'm here!
Love- Adrianna