Monday, November 3, 2008

Chuck E Cheese

Our zoo trip didn't work out. Turns out the zoo, along with children's museums are closed on Mondays. Oops. We met the foster family and ended up going to Chuck E Cheese. We had seen it on our way to the zoo and I think it was a good place to meet because we could talk and the kids could run around in a "confined" area.

We ended up having a cake for Karla's birthday. I didn't think of it until we were at ChuckECheese. The foster family had asked me if I was still here on Karla's birthday if we could have a party together. Chuck E Cheese didn't have a cake so Diana and Heidy's nephew ran out and got one! Karla was so tired by the end - when we had the cake - that she didn't really care about it. I think it meant something to Heidy and to me. And the cake was good! I brought the left back to eat tomorrow. :)

It was great to spend time with the foster family and learn more about them and Karla. It was extremely emotional for Karla's foster mother, Heidy, and her foster grandmother. It was also difficult for Jason and I. Whew. I don't think we'll blog much about it. Even thought it was extremely difficult for us, we are glad we did it. Karla said goodbye to her foster family and they got to say goodbye to her. We were worried how Karla might react when we got in Diana's car to leave. Luckily she fell right to sleep in my arms, slept for a little bit and then woke up at the hotel to her happy, normal self.

Diana and her husband, Hugo took us out to a really nice dinner and Karla was such a good girl. Especially for all that we have done today.

I think we gained some insight into some of Karla's behaviors. It turns out she was allowed to sleep whenever she wanted. So if that meant no nap or staying up late - she was allowed. Also, we found out that Karla is really attached to the foster grandmother. They said they think the reason why is because when Heidy would tell Karla "no", the foster grandmother would give in. So now we understand things better. Now it makes more sense that bedtime is so stressful and it made us realize how important it is going to be to stick to our "no's".

I uploaded some pictures from our Chuck E Cheese afternoon. Ugh...I just realized I ate 4 meals today! Is that okay if I got up at 5:30? :)

Tomorrow we are off to Antigua for our first official "sight-seeing" in Guatemala. We will be back by 3 to get Karla's visa. Then I think we'll take it easy until we fly out on Wednesday.

4 comments:

Carey said...

OH...it looks like everyone had so much fun! I'm glad everyone enjoyed their day with Karla. She IS a very special little girl:) See you soon:)

Love,
Carey

Kelly said...

What a great day...and to find out more about Karla...that is wonderful! Only one more day and you will be home. YIPPEEEE!

Anonymous said...

WOW Chuck E Cheese is everywhere :)
I guess kids and families are the
same all over the world. I'm glad
to hear the get together went so
well, I'm sure there were a lot of tears flowing at the end. I will
always be grateful to the foster
family for loving our little
Karla so much! And the best news is
that Karla happily went home in the
arms of her parents! She loves you
so much already :) :) :)
See you soon, I'm sooooo excited!
Love, Mom

Unknown said...

YEAH!!! what a fun day! What relief you are on your way home tomorrow!!! Whoo hoo cant wait to see you guys