Saturday, November 1, 2008

Boxes of Milk

So one of the things we've struggled with is that the only things she'll drink besides the sporadic "aqua" in the sippy cup are these (probably horrible for you) juice boxes called Sipi. Every morning after the "boo" from the crib and romping around on the bed with oso, she asks for "gee-ta" which we had no idea what that meant and then "drinkie" which means juice box. I think she asks for "drinkie" because she knows we know what she means. Not giving "drinkie" is cause for an immediate meltdown as I soon found out when I didn't think she needed a juice box at 8am. We asked one of the waiters who speaks pretty good English at breakfast finally what "gee-ta" meant because we thought maybe it had something to do with milk - i.e. her formula. He said that she's probably saying "lechita" which is "leche" with the diminuitive "ita" (i.e. Karlita) on the end. I guess here they call these small single-serving boxes of milk for kids "lechita". So today at Econo-Super I was on a quest for lechite and sure enough, right next to the juice boxes is a whole section of "leche" with a ton of various flavors (plain, vanilla, chocolate, strawberry) and in various forms of fat (or skim) milk and even lactose-free milk boxes. I chose "Dos Pino Leche Semidescremada" mostly because one side's information is in English. So Karla now has "gee-ta" of 2% milk that is creepily un-refrigerated until you open it. I guess Americans deal with milk quite differently than everyone else. I remember in German class a discussion about unrefrigerated boxed milk from Deiter Indinger and we all thought he must not have understood what we were talking about. I guess we were all wrong.

I tasted it and sure enough, it's milk.

Karla has drank about half of one so far when she asked for "drinkie" and seems happy with it. The only downside is that the slightest squeeze sprays milk everywhere.

Guess we'll have to find something like this in the US to get us started. Milk in a cup is immediately rejected.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Gotta agree with Dad....Fruit is the BEST thing for all of us. The antioxidants, etc. Great stuff! So glad to hear things are going well. It's so hard now being in one room. I can't imagine being in one room with my family--UGH! It will be so nice for you to be home!

As for milk, they do sell organic milk, Horizon is the brand, in juice-box form. Non-refridgerated too. Sounds crazy, but powdered milk and condensed milk aren't refridgerated. Gotta keep the faith in those food processors. Somewhere in there there is an engineer that says it is OK :-)

bdj7205 said...

we had this kind of mill at starbucks . It's horizon milk with a cow on the front... They do exist here! I think there's vanilla chocolate and strawbery! They were a huge hit with kids when I was there!! See u sooooon!!

Anonymous said...

hi,
i can not wait to see karla when she comes home!

love
shayla

Anonymous said...

I will go out looking for the Horizon
milk in juice box form for Karla and
have some at the house for you when you arrive back home. I do like that word "organic" :) I think
I'll get her some grapes too. One more day down, 4 to go, but who's counting???? Love you all, Mom

Unknown said...

Yep, we did the box milk in Thailand as well. I can sympathize with feeling a little iffy about unrefrigerated milk in a tropical country, but it's all good. ;-)

We get the Horizon chocolate milk boxes and they're pretty good.

Annie and Greg said...

Mmm... milk boxes. We were thoroughly confused by these too. When we went down with Marcus when he was done with formula, we ordered milk from the pharmacy through the front desk and they sent us milk boxes. Glad you finally figured this out so Karla is drinking some milk!

Debbie said...

We have those same boxes of milk in Doha. Hannah calls it "cheese milk" and loves it!