Jason had sent an email to some family and friends and made a "cause" on facebook called "Help Baby Javier". He was asking for prayers for the baby as well as any donations for the medication and special care he requires as a preemie. As a result, on Thursday we sent $550 to Heidy, Javier's mother! $550!! Isn't that amazing! What generous friends and family we have. Last night, Jason and I were sound asleep when the phone rang. It was Heidy and her family. Jason answered the phone and Karina told him they had received the money and thanked him A MILLION times! Then Heidy, who doesn't speak English got on the phone and spoke in Spanish to Jason...he could make out the words "thank you very much" but that is all...then she started crying because she was so thankful. Then Jennifer, Javier's 12 year old sister got on just to say "Hello. How are you?" Then Karina got back on the phone and went on and on about what wonderful friends and family we have and that they wanted us to be sure to thank each and every one of them. They never asked for this help and they never said they needed it, but we knew they did. I was kind of glad I didn't answer the phone last night because I probably would have started crying right along with Heidy. :) I think she and I are a lot alike. :)
I think I've said before that Karina speaks English but phone conversations are still pretty difficult. We were able to determine that Javier is now 4 pounds and is getting a bit stronger. (5 pound babies are a good size in Guatemala from what I know. Karla was 5.12 pounds at 3 days old)
Thank you all for your prayers for Baby Javier and for your donations!!! I wish you could have heard how happy and thankful the family was!!
In other news...
Friday Karla and I went to the zoo with our friends Annie, Marcus and William. Look how cute!! Karla was shy at first but warmed up once she realized the two boys liked to run - just like she does. They chased each other around a bit and then it was obvious Karla was at ease. She kept calling them her "friends" for the rest of the day. (Where did my friends go? Can I run with my friends?)

1 comment:
We had a great time too! Now I just need to update my blog... sometime...
Post a Comment