Thursday, April 23, 2009

Allergist

Karla's appointment on Tuesday at the allergist went so well (except for having to wait an hour before actually seeing the doctor). She didn't cry once (even for testing)and kept herself entertained - with my mom's help - while I talked to the doctor and the whole 2 1/2 hours we were there. I was proud of her! The allergist thinks she definitely has asthma and allergies. She didn't test positive for anything they tested her for which I guess isn't that uncommon for kids her age. But when he examined her (nose, etc.)and I reported her medical history for the past 6 months he said he was convinced she has allergies. He gave her a new medication and nasal spray and wants to see how she is doing in 6 weeks to determine if she needs to use an inhaler on an on-going basis. I guess he made the decision about asthma based on her history and how she sounded on Tuesday. He used to be a pulmonologist so that has to be good, right? We also went for a neck x-ray right after her appointment to see if her adenoids were large and they are not! So, no Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor is necessary. Whew! He said he will want to test her more extensively in 1 - 1 1/2 years when it will be easier to pinpoint what she is allergic to and we are supposed to go see him rather than the PCP if she has any flare-ups.

Well, this afternoon (already!) it happened. Karla was coughing some this morning and then woke earlier from her nap than usual because she was coughing so much. She coughed for 1 1/2 hours straight almost before it dawned on me that maybe I should get her inhaler and see if it helps. I guess I wasn't thinking clearly and she was wanting me to hold her so I was distracted by that and trying not to worry. It took me several minutes to locate the thing because I had put it "somewhere where I would remember it in case on an emergency". Ha! Good thing this wasn't an emergency because it took some digging to find. We haven't used it since December I think. I figured trying the inhaler today couldn't hurt. I gave her the inhaler and she stopped coughing!! She only coughed twice in the next hour. So, we'll see how tonight goes but we're going to the allergist tomorrow for this "flare-up".

Maybe if the weather would just make up its mind....

No comments: