I have been wanting to buy some kind of storage for toys for our family room since we got home. I have saved gift cards and looked at lots of options. I finally figured out what I wanted and bought it last week. Once I got the heavy box in my shopping cart, in the trunk, up the stairs, into the family room - I realized it was damaged. So today I was feeling energetic and took it back and got a new one. I don't usually put things together because I don't have much patience with things like that or lots of experience with tools. Today I was determined to do it - with a 2 year old and all! I will not say how long this afternoon we worked on this project because it would be embarrassing. The box claimed "assemble in minutes" but that was not our case!! It is a miracle the thing wasn't damaged by me or Karla during the construction. I actually had to take part of it apart twice because of using the wrong part at the wrong time. But I finally figured it out and I feel proud. Hopefully Karla does too. She was actually good at cheering for me or saying "oh no" when appropriate. She also was good at holding the little dowel rods and putting them in the tiny holes when needed (this kept her occupied for some time because she likes to finish a job and be precise too)!
Here is a picture of the toy section of our family room BEFORE. It is a little embarrassing.
This is a picture DURING construction. Karla loved climbing in and out of the cubes. At one point I was bent over trying to hold two pieces together, put in a screw and she was holding my head for balance. I had to stop and sit down because I was laughing so hard. I think Karla thought I was nuts. I'm glad no one was around to witness the event.
Here is a picture AFTER construction.
I think the room looks better. I did end up taking some toys up to her bedroom but at least things feel a little more organized now...and there is a little more floor space.
*Karla did a great job kicking today at her swimming lessons! Getting a little better every week.
*Her new favorite word is "mine". Ugh...
*We got our final document notarized today so now we just wait for a court date.
*We received ALL of the original paperwork from Karla's adoption/visa/citizenship from the Dept of Homeland Security today! We were expecting to wait months. It was a nice surprise. I need to look at it some more because there is quite a bit of paper but I learned what time of day Karla was born - 10:01pm. We also got a small color picture of Karla's birthmother and birth-grandmother, specifics on where they live(d) and confirmation that they did not have economic means to support a baby. It made me feel sad too for the young birthmother and when I saw that she and her mother gave up all rights early in the year 2007. Doesn't seem right that we had to wait until the end of 2008 to finish this...but I can't dwell on that.
That is it for now. Tomorrow will be another adventure I'm sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment