We had a great Christmas! We were home Christmas Day and Jason's family came over. Then we went to my family's house the next day. Karla was spoiled with presents from all of her family! She got a table and 2 chairs for our family room, a rocking chair that is just her size, a Dora tent with a tunnel, clothes, a Dora sleeping bag, a Little People farm, among other things. The main things she got from Santa were a Fur-Real dog that rolls over and barks and a wooden train set. Both were a big hit.
Karla is imitating words all the time and using 2-3 word phrases more often. My favorite phrases are "Good job, Mama", "Okay, Mama", and "Excuse me, Mama". (notice a theme?) Other words are "thirsty, salsa (as in the dance), knock-knock, tickle, spoon, circle, color, elbow and armpit (guess who taught her that one)." A Spanish word she started saying is "naranca" for "orange".
Karla is also big on boo-boos right now. She gets some by just slightly bumping into things or by making herself bump into things. She likes to say "boo-boo" and then whoever is around has to give her boo-boo a kiss. Jason and I don't mind this game at all. We've even "tricked" her into giving us kisses for boo-boos we have on our cheeks. :)
Karla in her sleeping bag - pretending to sleep.
This is the rocking chair Grammy and Pap-Pap fixed up for Karla. It was Jason's grandfather's when he was young.
Karla's new tunnel:
Karla has been a little off schedule since Christmas which is hard on all of us but I think she has done very well considering all the excitement. Today we seemed to be back on track. Karla still isn't sleeping through the night. She goes back to bed easier though once she wakes up in the middle of the night. I think she has done a great job transitioning to being home. I feel like now - for some reason - the transition is hitting me and at times it feels overwhelming. I can't explain it really. I also have been fighting a sinus problem for weeks so I don't think that helps my overall well-being. I'm not sure why I feel like things are difficult right now but I do. I guess the combination of not having a good night's sleep and not feeling that great don't add up to anything pretty. :) Then I have to remind myself we haven't even been home 2 months yet...almost, but not yet. That really isn't a long time for such a major life change - for any of us.
Today Daddy took Karla to Home Depot. It was their first outing together without me. I didn't even realize this until Jason told me. I think I may be sending them on more errands together! :) It sounded like they had a great time. Karla helped Jason pick out a new hammer and they looked/walked around a lot. Daddy was trying to give me some relaxation time. :) I got to take a long shower and call a friend. Daddy also dressed Karla today and did her hair. She was in Steeler's gear and had a new hair-do (which was cute). Karla made a point of showing me her new ponytail as soon as her Daddy was finished with it.
It has been so AMAZING and fun having Karla here for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve. I'm so glad she made it home in 2008! I'm still praying for the other families that still don't have their children home from Guatemala. U.S. Adoptions have been closed with Guatemala for a year now and there are still a lot of cases not completed. Ridiculous if you ask me!
One final picture. Just look at that adorable face. :) Daddy helped Karla make a snowman (she loves snowmen-mainly the stuffed toy kind) with snow that was on our front porch this evening. She liked touching the snow at first but then kept saying "cold, cold".
2 comments:
I have to say seeing my Dad's rocking chair in your blog made me cry. I know if my Dad were
still here he would have a tear in his eye too. That little old chair
was very special to him.
And the snowman Karla and Jason made
is just too cute! Somebody had a good idea :)
Love, Grammy
What a GREAT holiday you all had. I'm sure all of the family enjoyed it even more than Karla--nothing like seeing awe on a little child's face around the holidays. Especially a child you have waited so long to share these times with!
You started this blog less than three months ago. When you are feeling overwhelmed, take a few minutes to go back and see how far you have come. It's really incredible.
God bless the three of you in the New Year. I'm hoping 2009 is a great year for everyone!
Post a Comment