Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Healthy Update

Karla had her second "adoption visit" today with the doctor and social worker. Karla has gained 12 oz. and grown 1/2 an inch since we were there 2 months ago! She doesn't have any developmental delays or health problems, praise the Lord! We are so thankful. We decided to say goodbye to this doctor because it takes a good 40 minutes to get to her office when there isn't any traffic or bad weather. Since there aren't any concerns related to adoption we're going to pick a doctor near our house. I got teary eyed when the doctor hugged me good-bye but I didn't cry! I felt emotional because she has been with us since the day we found out that Karla had been born. She has checked Karla's medical reports every month that we received one and always had something encouraging to say in her email responses to us. She was helpful when Karla was in the hospital when we first got home (and she still hadn't even met Karla in person!). She was one of the few people we met in our adoption journey that was nice the entire time and truly cares about children (and their parents). Thank you Dr. Springer! The social worker was also wonderful. She made me feel better today - just reassuring us (okay, me) that we are doing things right for Karla. She also gave us her phone number so we could call her if we ever have any adoption related questions.

On to pictures. Karla had fun on Sunday at Rich and Carey's house for a Steeler's party playing with Lola and her cousin. They dressed up like princesses. I don't know who had more fun - me or Karla. Here is Karla as Tinkerbell, Belle, and Jasmine.




Karla is doing a wonderful job with her language and with her signing. She even makes her stuffed animals sign. The other day her cup had to sign "more" because it was empty. I can't keep up with the words she says anymore - it is too hard. There are too many words and she is imitating a lot.

Karla is also big into pretending a lot (the doctor said this is "ahead of the game" for her age). :)

Last Thursday Karla stayed in the toddler room at church with 3 other kids for 2 hours while I got to go to my bible study! Her first time away from Mommy or Daddy for an extended period of time. She was only 2 rooms away from me so I didn't have to worry about her. And apparently, she never asked for me. :)

Sunday she stayed in the toddler room again by herself. I am so proud of her! (Several of the kids that she is with in the toddler room are there on Thursday morning and in her new playgroup too so she will get to know them!)

Now we just have to get Mommy to relax (not worry) about care-giving things so much!

Karla has slept all night for the past 3 nights...I'm hesitant to write that because we are afraid it will be a fluke. Jason and I were SO worn out by the end of last week wondering how we were going to keep going with so much interrupted sleep. Maybe Karla knew we needed a few nights of solid sleep. :)

No comments: