Wednesday, January 20, 2010

This and That

Haven't been doing too much. I was sick over the weekend. Worthless on Saturday. I was so glad Jason was off that day. I slept most of the day...that hasn't happened in at least 1 1/2 years! :) Monday Jason wasn't feel too great but recovered quickly and Karla seems to have a little cold.

Since I was sick I used that as an excuse to start "Eclipse", Twilight book 3. :)

Karla had her second swimming class on Monday evening. She did great! She barely noticed that I was leaving the pool area. Grammy and Pap-Pap had the day off and came to watch Karla's class with me. She waved at us all through the glass wall. After class her teacher said "Wow, she did great today!" I could see her talking to the teacher and other kids this time too. Whew. Oh, and she had FUN! After class she got to swim with Pap-Pap and Daddy. She slept well that night!

I'm afraid to write this but I will - Karla has been sleeping through the ENTIRE night more often than not for about 3 weeks now!! She would occasionally sleep through the night but nothing consistent before. Ever since potty training started in August she'd get up at least once a night to use the bathroom. At least she woke up and didn't wet the bed, I guess! So, for the first time in well over a year we're actually getting to sleep all night! It is AWESOME!

We got Karla some games for Christmas and we've really been enjoying playing them with her. I think it is most fun when the 3 of us are able to play together in the evening! :) I enjoy seeing her play games.

Today the sun came out in the afternoon for a little while and I decided we were bundling up and going outside. Karla's eyes lit up when I suggested it and we couldn't find her shoes fast enough. I told her we were staying on the sidewalk because the grass would be all muddy. We ran a few races on the sidewalk and then she found a patch of snow on the driveway to play in...she reminded me "it wasn't on the grass". So we stomped on the snow and kicked the snow for a good 20 minutes. It was fun to be outside for a while!

I followed the news closely yesterday because there were 53 orphans from Haiti who were flown in to Pittsburgh. I cried during Karla's nap yesterday while watching the news coverage. It is sad what it was like in Haiti and then the earthquake... Then just thinking about adoptive families waiting for the child(ren) and then not knowing where they were...and paperwork destroyed. Sick. Anyway, this local story is great if you haven't heard about it!! Here is the link. I was also very curious about whether or not the 53 orphans would all have homes in the U.S. My mom tried calling me yesterday morning and Karla and I were out. When she got a hold of me she said "I thought maybe you were in Pittsburgh adopting some babies!" Ah, if only it were that easy. So last night and today I was trying to find out what will be happening to orphans not matched with adoptive families yet. It was actually easy to follow with my adoption friends from facebook and Safe Families for Children's website. I guess there are around 300 children coming to the Indianapolis area in the very near future from Haiti. And since the announcement there has been an overwhelming response of families in that area to foster and/or adopt these children! You can read all about it on the site's blog I posted above but I just thought that was great that so many people were coming forward with interest in adoption. Yeah, it isn't as easy as saying "hey, I want to adopt one of those kids" but you've gotta start somewhere! I could go on and on...but won't. You can read about it if you want. :)

I haven't taken any pictures lately! I better get on that tomorrow!

A verse to leave you with:
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. (NIV) James 1:27

No comments: