Karla had her first swimming class last night. Only one of us cried...and it wasn't her. I was pretty embarrassed. She had been a little nervous before we left home because she knew she was going in the pool without me or Daddy...and that she wouldn't be wearing her floatie. When we got on the deck of the pool she kept her arm around my leg. There were two other kids there with the teacher already and they were trying to get Karla to come sit with them. She wasn't budging. The teacher said that parents had to leave the deck of the pool and go sit behind a glass wall in the Y lobby. I totally understand that and from my work with kids know that sometimes it is best if parents leave the room...but I said I'd sit on a bench for a minute or so until Karla was comfortable. I really thought she'd be fine once she realized what was going on. Well, Karla wasn't leaving my side. Then the other 2 kids arrived - one was Karla's friend Sophia - I thought that would get her to join the others for sure. She still stood next to me. The teacher came over and said "Should I just take her?" A million things were running through my mind and I wasn't being decisive!!!! I said "okay". So the teacher scooped her up, Karla made a horrible face like she was going to start howling and I walked to the door of the locker room - where K couldn't see me. I waited to hear howling and crying....and was going to go get her and forget the whole thing if that is what I heard. I heard nothing. I waited a minute and then peeked around the corner. She was in the water with her class already doing their first little activity...without tears or anything. I walked to the lobby then started crying. I felt so bad like I'd done something terrible to her...and by this point I could see her through the glass and she was totally fine. So during the parent orientation where there were a bunch of parents for the three new classes starting (one in each pool)I was sitting there crying. I was embarrassed but couldn't help myself.
At the end of the 30 minute class she was fine and already talking about her next class. When we prayed at dinner and bedtime she thanked God for her new teacher...so it must not have been too bad for her! Took me longer to recover than it did her. She told Jason all about being "sad at first" but then having fun and then the activities they did. She seemed pretty excited about her next class and proud of herself. Hopefully I will behave better next week. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment