Yesterday Karla was successful with using the potty all day. I was so proud of her! She seemed proud of herself too. Then in the evening I went to Pittsburgh to meet with a group making "Handmade Hats for Guatemala". She had two accidents while I was gone and one success. Then this morning she has had two successes - including her first BM in the potty - and one almost-accident (I'm pretty good at reading her signs).
Yesterday for her nap I forgot to put a pull-up over her underwear and she took a marathon 3 hour nap. She woke up dry! That was pretty exciting. :)
The event I went to last night was really fun. I've never been to anything like that before. A friend of a friend goes to various places in Guatemala every year for work and provides medical services to children. Last January when they went they had taken 20 crocheted hats that they had made to hand out to the children. I guess they were a huge hit and not nearly enough for everyone. So this year they want to take LOTS of hats. There were probably at least 25 people crocheting hats last night in a church basement. I almost finished one hat...I was hoping to finish one while there last night. I probably could have if I hadn't also been talking. :) I think the group is going to meet again before January to make more. What a great idea! For a cause close to my heart...and involving a craft I love. :)
On my way to Pittsburgh I was directly behind a bad car accident on the highway. If I had been seconds closer who knows what could have happened... I was really shaken up when I got to the church last night. I was feeling so thankful to be alive and not injured. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen. I want to look on the news today to see if everyone was okay. Be careful out there!!! I was nervous driving home last night after seeing such a sight...and glad I was by myself without Karla.
I feel like, even though Karla and I have been home the past few days, a lot has been happening. I got a sad piece of news this morning. I don't think I posted this before but Karla's foster mother found out she was pregnant this spring. She was very excited because she is older and this was a surprise, because there is no longer a need for foster mothers in Guatemala so she wasn't going to have babies in her home anymore, and because she no longer had Karla in her home. We've been corresponding with her through email at least once a month and sending her lots of pictures (something I wouldn't have predicted at the beginning of our adoption process!). Well, this morning I had an email from her sister saying that the baby was born last Wednesday - about 3 months early. Her sister, Karina, has limited English but it sounds like the baby, Javier, is in the hospital and Heidy (foster mother) is going to the hospital today to see how he is doing. Karina said that Heidy is just crying all the time and the doctors don't know what is going to happen to the baby. I feel so upset for her because I know she loves children, wants this baby, and may not be able to have one again - biological or fostering. I am going to try to call Karina this week to see if I can talk to her son who speaks English to find out more. Please pray for Heidy and her baby.
Better be going...Little K is calling. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay for Karla! I will be thinking about Karla's foster family and praying for that baby.
Post a Comment