Last Saturday we took Karla to get her first haircut. I just wanted to get it trimmed because there were several different hair lengths, especially in the back. We are going to try to let her bangs grow out...we'll see how that goes. Anyway, I insisted we take her to a place just for kids so that it would hopefully be a good experience. Well, it wasn't for Karla. The place (Sharkey's cuts for kids) has a Barbie Jeep, airplane, car, etc. for the kids to sit in and a TV at each chair. So hopefully the kids are distracted and having fun during their haircut. When we walked in Karla showed interest in the airplane but once she thought she had to sit in it - it was no longer fun. So we went over to the plain, regular chair so she could sit in my lap. To make a long story (well, what I could make a long story) short, she cried the whole time. Karla's foster family had said that they hadn't cut her hair so we could do whatever we wanted with it. I wasn't sure if that could be true because obviously she had bangs and shorter sections on the one side of her head but the lady said that in the back the reason her hair was different lengths was because some of it still looked like baby hair so it more "wispy" than the rest. She said it was either baby hair or it hadn't been cut in a very long time. So, anyway, she cut a little lock of hair for me to keep. :) Jason was quite appalled by the whole experience. Yes, it was pricey but I said he should think about the money he has saved by not getting Karla's hair cut over the past year or so. Needless to say, we probably won't be going back to Sharkey's. I would recommend it though if you don't mind paying a lot for your kids' hair to be cut. At Sharkey's part of your fee covers a (temporary) tattoo for boys or a "mini-cure" for girls. We (I) bravely decided we would try the mini-cure after the haircut since it was included. Of course Karla perked right up when it was time to have clear nail polish with sparkles put on her nails. I told Jason he better be saving money if she already likes mini-cures. :)
I know...I'm so mean for wanting my daughter to have trimmed, nicely shaped hair...
After the haircut we drove to OH to see my parents. Karla did a great job on the way over and only asked to get out of her car seat when we were just moments from their house. Grandma had gotten out her keyboard and put it on the coffee table for Karla since she knew Karla likes music. It was a big hit! Karla warmed up quickly and was calling my parents Grandma (sounded more like nana) and Grandpa (sounded like Pawpaw)in no time. I have to include these pictures and I 'll hope I don't get in trouble. The top is Jason's head of course and the bottom is Grandpa's legs. Grandma and Karla are under there too!!! Eventually I was talked into going under. I can't believe we all squeezed under there...it was quite hot, uncomfortable and crowded. It is amazing what you will do just because a cute little girl points to you and directs you where to go!
Grandma had her Christmas decorations out and Karla really enjoyed the Santa Claus that was almost as big as she is. She was saying "Santa" a lot! She slept ALL night at Grandma and Grandpa's too! I was impressed.
On Sunday evening my parents' small group from their church had a shower for Karla. It was so fun (and emotional) to meet all the people who had prayed for us (for years) even though we hadn't met before. Karla made special friends with one man there and was even letting him hug her and get a hold of her! There were about 30 adults in the house and Karla warmed up really fast. Again, I was impressed. Here's a party picture:
Tonight we went to my work's Christmas party. Again, lots of people and Karla warmed up fast. I had a good time seeing all my "old" friends. :) (K.H. HAHAHA)
One last thing to bore you with. I can't believe I forgot to blog about this. About 2 weeks ago we received Karla's U.S. Certificate of Citizenship. It was exciting for Jason and me. This means that now we can start the process of re-adoption in the state of PA. I know - more process... This time all we have to do is hire an attorney and let him do his thing. We could try to fill out the required paperwork ourselves but after the problems we've had - we're letting a professional do it and not worrying about it too much. I have asked Jason if he feels more relaxed now that Karla is home because I SURE DO. He says that he won't be totally relaxed until we have this readoption totally done. So, I don't think I'm going to change the top of my blog (talking about the process) until the readoption is done.
The first step was to take Karla to the social security office and apply for a social security number. So I took her on Thursday. We should have the number and card within 14 days (Merry Christmas!). Grammy went with us and it is a good thing because I had to give documents and answer questions. Grammy took Karla out in the hall and looked at Christmas decorations and climbed up and down a big set of stairs.
In other news, Karla is no longer bothered by getting messy when eating. Seems to be the opposite now.
Here is one last picture. Karla with most of her Oso's!
1 comment:
Yep, i'm on my way to "old!" thanks for remembering... You know i'm 5 months younger than you...
Post a Comment