Friday, May 28, 2010

Favorite Foto Friday - First Time

Remember the first time you did something? Did you take a picture? Let's see it!

I think this sort of fits. The first time Karla called me "Mama" was on our second visit trip to Guatemala in May 2008. It was about 4 o'clock in the morning our first morning together. She wasn't sleeping, of course! We were down in the playroom so Daddy could try to get some sleep. She looked at me, walked towards me and said "Mama" and then handed me a toy she had been carrying. I'll never forget that moment. I know her foster mother must have referred to me as "mama" because I hadn't started "working" on that with Karla yet. :) It was awesome!! I knew Karla knew who I was and I knew her foster mother had taken good care of her and I felt SOOO appreciative. It immediately brought tears to my eyes and made me want to race down the hotel hall to wake Jason....but I didn't. I just gave my little Karla a squeeze. And then told Jason the minute his eyes opened the next day.

Here is a picture of her in her PJs that same morning...a few hours later though. I actually did not have my camera with me at 4am.


Looking back at these pictures and noting how "sweaty" she was all the time and how little she slept at night, I am convinced she was suffering with asthma symptoms at that time and no one knew it. Poor thing. SOOOO glad we know what it is now and can treat it. I am afraid to say this but...Karla has been sleeping THROUGH the night pretty consistently for the past few weeks. A first time - ever! She is even sleeping in more too. She's not up and it is after 8am!!! Crazy!! Didn't think this would happen until she was a teenager. I realize now that I wrote this I'll probably be back to getting up once a night with her but...hopefully not. Hooray for sunshine, warm weather and scooters!!

1 comment: