Last year on October 13 I flew to Guatemala with my wonderful friends Carey and Lola and then later that afternoon went to Karla's foster home with Diana, a new friend at that time. It is still amazing to me to think that Karla let me hold her in my lap for quite some time as soon as I saw her. Just knowing her now...and for the past year...she doesn't just go to strangers. I like to think she knew I was someone important to her...but it also could have been she remembered me some from our visits and that her foster mother had done a good job of preparing her for her big transition.
So many times prior to Oct 13 last year I really wasn't sure Karla would make it home because of all the red tape...or that I'd be in one piece when she did. :) But she is here! And what a year it has been!
For some reason I thought the big day I would remember would be the day we got out of PGN...but that came and went this past August and I didn't even think of it until a week or so afterwards (weird since it consumed my thoughts for over a year+). I also thought the day we arrived in the US would be the day I'd remember most fondly - and I do because it was a great day (and man was I tired). Sure I'll always remember "adoption day" when we celebrate it in March but the date I remember most is October 13.
Am I dreaming??? No!! My baby is in my arms!

I remember this toy, Mommy!

Hey, I just saw you yesterday! I get to see you again!! And you remembered to bring my toy again! Notice, we sure liked to look at each other! (In case you don't vividly remember last year like I do, Karla stayed the night with her foster family on Oct 13 and then they brought her to our hotel on the 14th to stay with me permanently)

Karla's foster family had just left and we were in the elevator going up to our hotel room. Diana was quite the photographer!

Karla and Lola start bonding right away...over a bag of chips. :)

I'd like to sit down and write lots of my reflections on the past year...and maybe I will sometime this week. But right now I'd rather get ready for a special day with my girl. We're going to see Mammy and Pappy this morning and then play whatever Karla wants to play in the afternoon! :)
Here we are today (looking for a picture of the two of us makes me realize I need to be in more pictures with Karla!):

We love you, Karla!
4 comments:
I loved this blog! It brought back
really good memories of how I felt
when I saw those pictures of you and
Karla together forever. The way you
two made eye contact still brings
tears to my eyes when I see those
pictures. I remember the wonderful
way I felt that she would soon be
home for good! IT HAS BEEN A
FANTASTIC YEAR and I've loved
every minute of it, and I sure do
love that little girl!!!
Now you have me crying tears of happiness too!
Fantastic! It has been a long, tough road. I remember going to CI each week and talking with Katie H. and Katie B. about all the new news coming from the "new" blog. Congratulations to a BEAUTIFUL family!
What a beautiful reflection of the past year. You truly shine with happiness in your pictures and through your words. You are a wonderful mother and Karla is very blessed to have you and Jason. Your blog is a joy to read.
Post a Comment