Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sleep


So, I'm going to tell you about Karla's sleep "progress". It has GREATLY improved. As you know from following my blog that Karla hadn't slept through the night in 5+ months since she'd been home (except maybe a rare fluke). And it was taking a toll on everyone in the house! At all the "classes" we had to go to prior to adopting they told us that EVERY time your new child cries - even at night - you need to respond to help form the attachment bond. So, we did. We did it throughout the day and night. Then it seemed like nights were getting worse and worse and then naps got miserable as well - I felt like I was going to go crazy. I would fall asleep in Karla's bed, in the rocking chair, on the floor...anywhere that I was able to sit/lay still on during Karla's crying in the night. We were all short on patience and dreaded night time. I was starting to feel desperate for sleep. Then Jason and I were getting pretty sure that Karla was understanding everything we were saying to her and that she was doing a great job of manipulating us at night! (There was a lot of thought and talk behind that belief) I do think that a lot of her night waking had to do with behavior but I also think her breathing/asthma and adjusting to a new home/country/family contributed too! It is kind of amazing how the timing of everything worked out...or could it be all the prayers?? :) Remember my prayer request? I just looked back at my blog and it was the beginning of April when things were bad.

I was willing to try anything. So, we tried the Supernanny "Sleep separation technique" (http://www.supernanny.com/Advice/-/Your-toddler/-/Toddler-care/The-sleep-separation-technique.aspx). I haven't watched the TV show since before Guatemala. i remember occasionally watching it and thinking some of the parents on the show were nuts...but then...well, now maybe I'm one of them. I know what sleep deprivation can do to you now... I now LOVE Supernanny's website. It had a little video that we watched with Karla and then we started the technique. Basically you put your child in bed (after their familiar bedtime routine, of course), kiss them goodnight, then sit on the floor so they can only see your profile. You don't talk to them at all. So the first few nights are rough (mainly just the first one for us) because your child is crying and you are basically sitting there ignoring them. Then you move farther and farther from their bed each night. We are currently able to sit outside of her bedroom, down the hall, right outside of our bedroom door...so we are pretty far away now!! We did the progression slowly because she was sick for a while. Nap time is a breeze! Bedtime is SO much better!! At first Karla fussed during the bedtime routine because she knew what was coming but now she will mostly just talk to Oso for a few minutes and then go to sleep. She even sleeps through the night now!!!

Last night was the 4th night in a row and prior to her getting sick we had 5 nights in a row, beating her best record of 4 nights in a row (which was really unusual) and I can't even remember when it was...maybe January. She sleeps longer at night too! Her naps may be slightly shorter but that is okay!!

I'm able to keep the house cleaner and keep up with laundry. I didn't sleep very often when she slept for naps before and I wish I had because I guess I wasn't actually being that productive. Now that I am running on a good night's sleep I am amazed at how much more I can do in a day and how much more energy I have for playing.


Another good thing is that Jason was home for 4-5 days around Easter. Karla really warmed up to him a lot more during that time. (I had been concerned about this at the beginning of April as well). She is better about letting him help in the middle of night - if necessary - and about letting him do some more of the "caregiving" things without crying or fussing. She also gives him tons more hugs and kisses and I know Jason loves that!

Karla is really into pretending to be "Jennifer". She thinks it is funny to be me. Not sure what that means... :)

Karla hasn't done her business on the potty again. The closest we got was an accident on the floor next to the potty this morning.I guess this will be harder than I thought. Good thing I'm not in a hurry. :)

Yesterday we had to play "sleep" a lot. I was "Karla" and had to sleep in the bed and Karla was "Mommy" sitting in the hallway. I took the picture from her bed. I usually sit where the laundry hamper is in the picture. She was even "reading" my book that I have been keeping in the hallway.

No comments: