Sunday, August 15, 2010

Surgery - done and mostly recovered!

I've been a bit slower to blog lately but a large part of the reason is because I had surgery on my right wrist 3 weeks ago. I was pretty nervous about it after having surgery on the left one in February. I didn't realize how "bad" the first surgery and recovery was until it was over...and took a few months to fully recover. I sure wasn't eager to do it again but was in pain and didn't want to further damage the right wrist. I wasn't happy with my first doctor so I went to a second doctor for a second opinion and I wanted a new doctor. I am almost fully recovered from this surgery and it has only been 3 weeks! I don't even feel like the 2 surgeries are comparable. They were totally different and this one was SO much easier - and it was my dominant hand!!

This doctor gave me a reason as to why this happened to both my wrists. My ulna is slightly longer than my radius (and it is supposed to be slightly shorter) and that puts extra pressure on the ligament that holds the two bones together (the one that tore in both my wrists). The surgery I had has an 80-85% chance of "success". If for some reason the ligaments would tear again then they would have to go in and basically cut the bone down to make it shorter. The doctor seemed optimistic that this would fix it so I am thinking positive...and am going to be more careful with what I do with my wrists!!

Anyway, the second surgery was at a surgery center rather than the hospital. I was given a nerve block rather than being put totally out (although I did sleep through the entire thing). I was nervous about going to a surgery center rather than a hospital and about the nerve block but it was SO SO much better! Quicker to recover too. If I ever have to have surgery again (and I hope I don't) I will definitely want to go to a surgery center!

Oh, and the other GREAT thing - I haven't had to have occupational therapy this time!! As long as I continue to do well, I won't have to!

In Karla-related news, she attended her first Bartels Family Reunion today! It is my mom's paternal(Pappy) side of the family. We didn't get to go last year because Karla was having asthma troubles. It was fun to take her this year since I have enjoyed going since I was a little girl. Now she gets to meet everyone, play on the same playground I did, and swim in the same lake. I didn't take any pictures - I was too busy - so I'll have to get some from other family members.

No comments: