Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Catching Up....a little

***Karla had her last swimming class last Wednesday. She did a great job and continues to love the water. We are going to wait a while before signing her up for classes again. In this past class, she was the smallest and youngest in her class of 5 kids (ages 3-5). I'm glad she was able to "keep up" with them for most of the things they learned how to do but we're going to give her some more time to grow and improve a few more things like floating on her back and kicking and "scooping" simultaneously. :) The 3 boys in her class were pretty rowdy and I always felt like I had to keep my eyes on the top of her head while she was swimming to make sure she was safe - even though I'm sure she was. Luckily the boys only picked on each other and not her! They would have been in trouble! :)

On the last day of swimming class I was the only parent that stayed on the pool deck as opposed to sitting outside the glass wall. I was surprised but stayed anyway. I think I did distract Karla because she kept looking at me and wanted to talk to me. It was funny because one time the teacher was helping her keep her legs straight while she was kicking and she looked at my with a big smile. I thought she was going to say something like "I'm doing it!" or "Look at me!" but no....she said "Mommy, I asked him about his new haircut!" This girl notices everything...especially hair, shoes, and make-up! She had noticed that the teacher had gotten a haircut....and apparently asked him about it. Then when it was time for them to jump in the deep end, I heard her telling her teacher she was getting two new teeth. The girl just loves to talk. Then when it was her turn to jump in the water she stuck her hands out to the sides, flapped them up and down, said "I'm a bat" and then jumped in. It was definitely interesting to hear what she says during lessons!

She made me laugh again on the way home in the car. She said "Wow, there is a lot of traffic." I told her yes, that people were driving home from work right now. Then she asked "Are they goin' home to see them gorgeous kids?" Ha! Can you guess what Jason says when he gets home!? :)

***Lately Karla has been using her own made-up words that end with -able (like huggable). Her words are tickle-able, sweet-able, chewy-able, taste-able. She uses tickle-able (sounds more like "tick-able") all the time. I even correct her but she keeps saying it her way anyway. It is pretty cute though.

She also says pepper-pony for pepperoni. I love when she says that! I haven't corrected that one yet...

***I can't remember if I have said lately that Karla's current favorite animals are bats, tarantulas and scorpions. They are all in the same room at the zoo....and for some reason she LOVES them. I am NOT a bat fan at all! Don't know where her love for these things came from...

***I spent my very first night away from Karla this past weekend! It has been a little over a year and a half since Karla was placed in my arms by her foster mother and we've been pretty much together most of the time since then!!! I went on a women's retreat with women from our church. It was probably the farthest I've been from Karla too. Anyway, we both did fine. :) I did get sad when I left home but quickly recovered. Karla was completely fine the entire time I was gone. And I am thankful for that. I think the time apart was good for both of us...I know it was for me anyway. :)

***Here are some pictures of Karla and Daddy planting a new little tree...with supervision by Pappy.


No comments: