Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Family Vacation to San Francisco! (part 1)

On Sunday February 26 we woke Karla up at 4:15 am to head to the airport for our trip! She woke up pretty easily and said she was very excited to go on vacation. We left the house a few minutes before 5 am.

The plane ride was thankfully a direct flight. But it was long. Karla did a good job of being patient even though I know she was getting tired of sitting still. I slept for about 45 minutes while Jason read and Karla watched a movie. We tried to get Karla to take a nap but she slept for about 15 minutes and then we hit some turbulence and she was awake. That was the only sleep she had since 4:15 am and it was a 6 hour flight…landing at 12:45 our time. Karla sang a lot on the flight and drew a lot AND talked a lot. I like hearing her sing out loud because I know she is happy.

We took a taxi to our hotel. Karla thought that was fun. She thought it was her “first taxi ride.” She doesn’t remember the ones we took in Guatemala, I guess. She liked sitting in the middle of the back seat without a car seat and between Mommy and Daddy. She again sang a lot of the way to the hotel.

We were able to check in to our hotel and then headed outside to look around. We ate lunch at the California Pizza Kitchen. We were there at 11:20 CA time and the restaurant didn’t open until 11:30. To us it was 2:20 pm and we were hungry! We waited and soon enough polished off all of our pizza.

After that we came back to our hotel. Karla had been so good I didn’t want to push our luck. We all laid down to take a nap and slept for about 2 hours. Karla wanted me to nap in the double bed with her so I thought that would be nice so I did. I imagined cuddle time – but the only way I can describe my nap is to say that I felt tenderized!! Her feet were from my ribs to my knees constantly….and pushing hard! I don’t know how she does that while asleep. When I finally “woke” she was perpendicular to me with her feet in my low back.

We went out walking again and went to get Jason registered for his conference. Afterwards we went to Mel’s Drive Thur Diner for dinner and had burgers, fries, and a milkshake. Then we came back to the hotel to do what Karla had been wanting to do all day – SWIM. Just Karla and Jason ended up getting in to the water because I guess the water wasn’t very warm. I watched them from the side. I LOVE watching the two of them together. I love watching her when she is having so much fun. She was riding on Jason’s back as he swam the length of the pool and was pretending he was a "horsie." She had a huge grin on her face the whole time and was laughing and laughing! I love that!

I wonder if I will ever be able to stay in a hotel again without thinking a lot about being in Guatemala. I guess I just associate hotels with Guatemala. At one point when we were walking around the hotel she said "This reminds me of when I was a baby." I asked her what she meant and she said that the smell of the hotel reminded her of Guatemala. I thought that was interesting! Maybe she does remember some of our hotel stay there.

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis on the 22nd floor. Karla loves pushing the buttons for and in the elevators. She also loves jumping up and down while sort of flapping her arms in the elevator because she says it feels like she is flying. It makes everyone that enters the elevator smile, laugh, and/or talk to her.

On Monday Karla and I both experienced our first cable car ride. It was hard to get a good picture since we were moving, she was right next to me, and there wasn't any extra room to move around. We both enjoyed it.

We went to the Aquarium at the Bay. She enjoyed seeing the snake, of coures.

We ate lunch at the end of a pier and could see sea lions, the Golden Gate Bridge, and Alcatraz from our seats.

We took a ferry ride under the GG Bridge and around Alcatraz.

Oso had fun back at the hotel while we were out and about.

We found a really big playground right by our hotel.

On Saturday, we rented a car and went to Muir Woods to see the redwoods. For more Muir Woods pics click here.

Fisherman's Wharf. Our last day was beautiful! 70 and sunny!

Seeing how pulleys work at the pier.

No comments: